Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Not Just Like Me

I posed the question last time “what are we to do if we are in a ‘season’ or in a church where we do not have friends?” Let’s address that question.

For many years I would look for friends who were just like me. Growing up all my friends were my age, we all went to the same school, lived in the same area, we looked alike, acted alike, even talked alike. I have moved many states away from those Dallas roots, but I continue close friendships with those six special girlfriends.

As an adult, I still long for friends. Desperate for someone I can hang out with. A friend I could call or drop by for no reason. And for years I would continue to look for friends who were just like me. I wasted a lot of time and was quite lonely until I finally went before the Lord and asked Him to bring to me friends. And, in His timing, He has. He is Faithful. He is Provider. He knows what we need when we need it. And He is full of surprises!!

What I discovered is I did have friends but that they were NOT just like me. In fact, the Lord has brought me ladies who are:
· 20 to 30 years older than me.
· 20 to 30 years younger than me.
· Have a different color skin than mine.
· Homeless.
· Divorced.
· In other denominations.
· Single.
· Dying.
· Frumpy
· In style
· Lost

Let me encourage you to ask God to bring you to the ladies He wants in your life. Let Him surprise you!! Perhaps you will find you really do have friends….only they are not just like you.

No comments: