Monday, November 3, 2008

Sergeant Sally

A few weeks ago friends from Texas came to stay overnight with us. It was a wonderful time to catch up on what had been going on in our lives and remember the good times we shared. Our home was filled with laughter as we recalled some of the fun times we had.


As our husbands played golf on Saturday, I treated my friend to lunch and a short sightseeing trip. Later, we enjoyed a leisurely walk through my neighborhood. It was a sweet time. It gave me a chance to tell my friend just how much she meant to me. It was a time for me just to say thank you for rescuing me at a point of need.


You see several years ago in our ministry I was at a very low point. I was not only a pastor's wife and raising two sons but I was also finishing my college degree. To make matters worse there were a few families in our church who were fighting among themselves. This dispute was spilling out into the life of the church and hampering God's work. As a result, I was stressed out and did not want to leave the safety of my home.

Well, my dear friend, who is a pastor's daughter and has the gift of discernment and prayer, saw me spiraling into the abyss. One morning after I had returned from dropping my boys off at school I heard a knock at my back door. Now I had not showered, had no makeup on, my hair was a mess, my teeth were unbrushed, and I was wearing an old pair of sweat pants and a stained sweat shirt. I think you get the picture. I started not to answer the door but I heard my friend calling to me so I opened the door.


In bounced my sweet friend and laughingly commanded, "Get your purse and come with me!" I argued and said I could not go. I had housework and homework to do plus I was not dressed for going out in public. However, my friend would not take no for an answer. (By the way, that is why we call her Sergeant Sally). With her literally pullling me out the door, I grabbed my purse and prayed I would not see anyone I knew. However, I did take come comfort in the fact that Sergeant Sally looked as bad as me!



We drove an hour to another town and spent time in a coffee shop. She made me talk through some of the issues on my heart. She even let me cry which is normally not in her nature. After I arrived home, I felt renewed and loved. I knew that God was in control of the whole situation-from church to my education. For the first time in a long time, I actually could think past the next crisis. I believe that is the first time I realized God sends people into our lives to be His physical touch on earth.

Dear sisters, maybe you are in a downward spiral right now. I pray that you will experience God's touch today. Look around you. You might see His touch through a friend or the miracle of His creation. Perhaps you know someone who is going through a difficult time. Take time to touch that person's life today through a card, phone call, or even dragging them out of the house for a diet coke and a piece of chocolate. Trust me, if Sergeant Sally had not been there for me years ago I probably would not be where God has me today.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

What a lovely friend! I have a friend like that, but she lives over 12 hours away...