Sunday, November 15, 2009

It happens even in Germany

This week after the Convention, Randy and I left for a mission trip to Germany. We have been here since Friday morning participating in what is being called an "Encouragement Conference" for Ministers and their wives.

As I have had the opportunity to listen to some of the wives and to pray with them, I realized that we all face the same challenges, even across the seas. Time is always an issue, church dynamics, families, jobs, finances...they are all alike.

I have come to realize that we all need encouragement to carry on the work. I came to encourage, but I found myself being encouraged by these sweet ladies' testimony. Most of them have a much more difficult time than I do. And yet, they are staying faithful to the call.

There have been some very sweet moments, like listening to the choirs, and even though I did not know the words, I still got the message. And like watching the little children, who are just as adorable here as in our own churches. But my favorite has been talking to the Pastor of the church where the conference is being held, knowing that he was ready to give up the ministry, but now has been encouraged to continue on.

Don't forget that we all need a pat on the back or a little nudge to keep going. Look for someone who needs a Barnabus in their lives and encourage them. The blessing will come back to you 100 fold.

3 comments:

Emily said...

My husband is having a very hard time right now. He is so stressed it is making him physiclly sick. I think it's at the point to where all of the guys on staff are ready to give up b/c they don't think that the church will ever change. What are some ways I can keep encouraging him and showing him he is here for a reason and making a difference even when it doesn't seem like it? Wish I could have made it to the conference last week. He said it was one of the most amazing worship services he had ever been to and God really used it to take his mind off of all the "political stuff" going on.

Pat said...

Hi Emily,
Satan definitely has a hold on some of our church members. We've been where you are and all I can say is just don't give up as long as you know that God wants you there. Pray, Pray and then Pray some more. Pray spefically for your husband, as much as you possibly can. You are his greatest admirer and encourager, so remind him of some of the past victories that he may have forgotten about because of the current stress. Maybe even make a list that he can look at when he needs encouragement. I'm praying for you. Jeremiah 29:11 Galations 6:9

Emily said...

thank you! :)