Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Look Behind You


Recently, my family and I were blessed to be able to travel to Pensecola Beach, Florida to help officiate a wedding of young lady who was in my husband's youth group when we were first married. It was great to get away for a couple of days and a blessing to be there before Hurricane Ida took aim at the beautiful beaches.

We took full advantage of the opportunity to eat some amazing seafood, catch up with old friends and play in the sand. And, like every other trip I have ever taken to the beach, God seemed to be able to whisper truths into my heart.

While waiting for the sunset wedding to begin, my daughter, Riley, and I enjoyed exploring the shoreline. Like many six year-olds would, she soon made a game of walking in my footsteps. I encouraged the time consuming activity by skipping, sliding and side-stepping to vary the footprints I was leaving in the sand.

With Riley's conversion being so recent, it really hit home that she is in many, many ways emulating my actions and attitudes. She is set to follow my footprints spiritually, just like she was literally in our little game on the beach.

Both the bride in the wedding and her sweet maid-of-honor have been dear family friends for a long time. My prayer is that my example of a Christian woman has been one that they would want to follow. My relationship with these young ladies spans over a decade. What footprints have I left them?

Let me encourage you to look back. Who is following your footsteps? Where are you leading them?

I don't mean to add pressure on you as a minister's wife. We are all called to this in Titus. If you are feeling a little defensive, maybe that is the Holy Spirit calling you to follow the prints Jesus left for us in the sand. And, like the old poem, remember that He will carry you when you can't do those things He has called you to.

Thank you Lord for not leaving us alone in this responsibility.

No comments: