Monday, November 30, 2009

Thankful for the "Duh" Moments

Okay, as many of you know, I have stated over and over that I am a blonde and I have many blonde moments. My day is not complete without one of those “duh” moments that all too often signify a blonde. Probably the blonde jokes that circulate are written in my “honor.” So, I guess I should just spill the beans and tell you my latest moment.

Since we could not travel back home for the Thanksgiving holidays, my in-laws, youngest son, and my husband’s aunt came to Tennessee. Since I am not the best cook in the world, I would never attempt to prepare a turkey or the dressing. I mean, why should someone slave like that when you can order a fully cooked turkey and a pan of dressing from the local grocer?

However, I did want to make an impression so I decided to try my hand at sweet potato casserole. Now, I personally cannot stand sweet potatoes. It is a texture thing. Anyway, I go to the store and began the hunt for fresh sweet potatoes. In the meantime my “friend” (I use this term lightly right now) called and I told her what my plans were for T-Day meal. She proceeded to give me her recipe for sweet potato casserole. Well, you can use canned sweet potatoes so why even bother with fresh ones! After I hung up with her I proceed to the can good isle in search of sweet potatoes. Sadly, I failed in my search. I called my friend back and frantically told her that I could not find sweet potatoes. I, like a true, time honored blonde, I asked a simple innocent question (here is where you should sit down and pretend not to laugh), “Are yams the same thing as sweet potatoes?” Now, a true friend would politely say “yes” and wait until she was off the phone before she laughed, but oh no, my friend roared with laughter. I knew then that this “duh” moment in time would go down in blonde history.

Well, I may be blonde, short with boy legs, and talk with a southern accent but I am so thankful that God loves me. He loves my blonde roots, my height and structure, and my accent. I am so thankful that I can confess my daily sins and He forgives them. I am also grateful that I could provide my friend and each of you a bit of laughter because laughter makes life healthier!

2 comments:

Shawna said...

Actually, Yams are different from Sweet Potatoes. Yams are not commonly found here in the States. Check out this website for more info: http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sweetpotatodiff.htm
BUT, here in the south (TN) we use the term interchangably.

Emily said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has these moments often! But, I figure...might as well give someone else a laugh.