Sunday, January 16, 2011

In Honor Of

As I blog today I hope that you will indulge me this moment to express my heart. I am among girlfriends, fellow minister wives, who understand that all too often as a spouse of a minister our hearts break with sorrow and it is hard to find someone with whom to bare our souls.



This weekend a dear family friend succumbed to Lou Gehrig's Disease better known as ALS. Although there are meds that can slow the progressions, ALS is basically a death sentence with no known cure. This disease can attack a perfectly healthy person and in a matter of months render them helpless. Muscle weakness and difficulty breathing are among the many symptoms of ALS.



Instead of letting ALS send him into the ultimate pity party, Adam kept a smile on his face. Over the course of about a year and a half, Adam, who stood six foot plus, went from being strong as an ox to helpless as a baby. However, God had a plan for Adam, and my sweet friend did what he could to accomplish it.



Wherever Adam went he shared his faith in Jesus. He never claimed to be perfect. No, he would be the first to tell you that he did some pretty stupid things in his younger years. However, when Jesus got hold of his life, as we say in the south, he got saved from the top of his head to the tips of his toes. Amazingly, he never once gave into the disease but praised God for the privilege of having it.



Over Thanksgiving my husband, youngest son, and my brother went to visit Adam. They all came back with smiles on their faces. My son, Bryan, said, "Mom, Mr. Adam prayed the most awesome prayer I've ever heard. He's my hero in the faith." Over the Thanksgiving holiday my brother kept bugging me to go see Adam. I adamantly kept refusing, but thankfully my brother won out. I sat at Adam's feet along with his sweet wife, Robbin. My mom positioned herself beside him while my brother stood to Adam's left. As he would draw a breath, we listened as he asked everyone in the room about their relationship with Jesus. As a cramp would overtake his hand, my brother would rub Adam's hand and Adam would shout "praise Jesus!"



Girlfriends, I am selfish. I want my friend here. All during this weekend I would cry a tear from sorrow then smile knowing Adam is now with Jesus. Although he is not my blood brother, our families have a deep friendship that spands fifty years. We have walked through dark days, joyous celebrations, marriages and children, and moves. As of Christmas Day, we even celebrated the birth of Adam's first grandchild, Brody. (God knew this family needed an extra special gift). Our parents still live down the street from one another and the bond of friendship continues to grow even through death.



Today I have a peace that Adam is with his Lord. I like to picture him dancing and singing before Jesus. However, Adam is humbly bowed before the throne of Grace. Yet I do know one things for sure. At some point in eternity, Adam will have a smirky smile on his healthy face and will shout "praise Jesus!"



Thank you my sweet sisters for allowing me this personal moment to honor my friend and his family. I do ask that you say a prayer for them and other suffers of ALS.

No comments: