Monday, January 31, 2011

Still Human!

Today had been a productive day.

I worked for a couple of hours at the church getting a Facebook page for our two-day-a-week preschool. I had a lunch meeting with my husband and 9 amazing student ministers from our association. I spent time preparing for a class I am teaching on Thursday night. I invested some quality time with our daughters after getting a good jump on the week's laundry. The girls' lunches for tomorrow were packed. I was feeling pretty good about everything I had accomplished today when I sat down to pay the first of the month's bills . . .

Ah, now you easily see where my evening took a down turn. In recent months, I haven't minded so much paying our bills. It has actually been a process that has left me praising our God for His generosity and provision. Tonight appeared to be heading in that way - and, honestly, I have ended up there, but not before God humbled me in the process.

I had forgotten to order another box of checks and so everything instantly became a little more stressful and a lot more complicated, especially when I tried to call one of the banks . . .

I like to talk to customer service representatives. I feel like I have a small window to show them that they are appreciated, that I know that they are real people and that they are valued - by me, but more importantly, by God.

In this situation though, I couldn't talk to one. The automated voice kept sending me in circles. I could feel my blood pressure rising and found myself thankful that the computer couldn't have its feelings hurt or be insulted by my increasingly terse tone of voice. Finally, in frustration I hung up my cell phone, tossed it to the couch and cussed.

I have apologized to my husband. Honestly, I am thoroughly embarrassed. So why share it with you? As he told me, "Honey, you're only human!"

My expectations of myself are high and I know the scriptures. Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. . . . Yes, there is still some of that old, rotten, sinful nature in me - it is still in all of us, ministers' wives or not.

Sister, take heart! We are still human.

Father God, I long for the day You complete what You have begun in me!

2 comments:

Pat said...

Tara, thanks for being so totally open and honest. I had to smile a little when you said you "cussed". I could just hear some of those church members catching their breath!! You're right we are ALL human.

Dana said...

WHAT???? You mean you are NOT perfect??? I, for one, am shocked!! :)