Monday, January 10, 2011

Intimate with Jesus

I cannot believe another year is behind me. As always, I spent time reviewing the past year. There are regrets, fond memories, things to be continued and even relief that some things are over.

I also think about my hopes, dreams, desires for the upcoming year. I definitely have things that I do not want to deal with ever again. I have things that I am hoping will be completed in this year and things I want to begin. It would be fun to sit with each of you and listen to your ideas.

As I begin this year, of course, I want to know God’s plan. I so want to stay in the center of His will. I so want to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them. I am sure I hear some “Amens” out there.

This morning I was reading Oswald Chambers. As I read, the “ah ha” moment happened. I have been asking God what should be my goal this year. I am really not into resolutions but I always set some goals. I know without goals I will accomplish nothing. I also know that goals can distract from God if they are not His goals for me.

The verse in Oswald Chambers devotion was John 14:9. “Jesus said to him, ‘Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not know Me, Philip?’” He began to explain how the disciples had walked with Jesus and seen Him do many things. He gave them power to do the things He was doing, yet He was calling them to a deeper intimacy with Him.

I thought about you precious women who are serving along side your husbands. You each have seen God do many wonderful things. I am sure God has worked through you in your churches in ways that have been miraculous. In spite of this, Jesus wants an even more intimate relationship with you and me than we had last year or how about than we had yesterday.

The devotion went on to explain that Jesus called us ‘friends’. It was described as “identifying with someone in thought, heart, and spirit. The whole experience of life is designed to enable us to enter into this closest relationship with Jesus. We receive His blessings and know His Word, but do we really know Him?”

I pray that we will each set a goal to know Jesus more intimately this year. I know that we are in His Word, we are serving Him in His church, we are praying for those around us, but I want to become intimate to the point that He is all I need. I pray this for each of you this year.

No comments: