Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Perfect Life

"Oh, your life is so perfect. I know you never worry about anything because you're married to the preacher." Have you ever had a similar comment made to you? I certainly have and my first thought is invite this clueless inidividual over for a month stay. Instead, I just fall on the floor laughing. In the course of our 30+ years of ministry, I can attest today my life is perfect and chocolate has no calories-IN MY DREAMS!


Do you sometimes wish you could allow the congregation or even the lost world to come to your home and experience the "perfect" bliss? Right now if people were to walk through the front door of my home they would immediately be bombed with the ripe odor of wet dog. Once you catch your breath, you would proceed into the kitchen and discover muddy paw and shoe prints on the aging white flooring which is rolling up. (Girls, it has been raining or snowing for weeks and my poor Swiffer mop needed a vacation.) Continuing to the living area you would discover that I have attempted to dust and vacuum but dog hair reigns (or rains) in our home. Upstairs you will find the laundry baskets overflowing and ironing has piled up as well. However, there will be one bed made and the bathrooms are clean. (Hey, at least something is half way done!) Oh but wait! Don't attempt to look our the windows. They're dirty.

Okay, so you do not keep a perfect house but you do have a perfect family. Well, I think my family came pretty close to perfect one day. Let's see I have a husband and one son who have the gift of prophesy so that means neither see a gray area only black and white. Boy, that sure makes life perfect in minister's home. Another son is a fun-loving, mischievous, sports-loving guy. He brings broken parsonage windows from balls and pranks of all kinds. I, being the sole female in an all male home, gave up the frilly, girly life long ago in order to be ready on a moments notice. Did you know that you do not wear high heels, perfect hair, and panty hose to ballgames? Instead a ponytail and comfortable tennis shoes work just fine. Yep, I think we are pretty close to the Cleaver family. Okay, I admit. I am not June Cleaver. Seriously, who wears pearls or a dress to cook? Plus, the Lee household know our meals are ready when the smoke detector goes off.


So see girlfriends, our lives are not perfect. I believe the only perfect person who will ever grace the face of the earth is Jesus. We are simply humans who get the awesome privilege of being called out to serve the Lord and spread the Good News. No, my life is not perfect but I would not change it for the world (or for all the chocolate in the universe).


Be Blessed!


"Okay Lord, I still would like to have my heavenly banquet table filled with chocolate." : )

2 comments:

Pat said...

Love your honesty, Vickie. Timely article on being perfect. We had a MW birthday party last night and had a pinata. One lady had a hard time with the blindfold, so she said I'll just close my eyes. Someone said no, you'll peek. She said "No I won't, I'm a minister's wife." Hilarious, but just what everyone expects. So glad we can get together and just be ourselves for a couple of hours! Oh, and we didn't use actual pictures on the pinata, but encouraged a "visual image" of whomever you would really like to "take out". Needless to say, it didn't last very long, but it was a "safe" way to release that frustration.

Sara said...

Love this, so my life right now. Thanks for the reminder that I just need to be me!