Friday, June 3, 2011

An Awesome God

Our family just returned a week ago from a trip Las Vegas. No, we did not gamble nor were we even tempted. Instead we visited our son and daughter-in-love who are stationed at one of the Air Force Bases there. It was great just spending time together and enjoying the stark beauty of this desert area.


One late evening a few of us drove up snow capped Mount Charleston where the temperature literally dropped nearly 35 degrees from the city. Another afternoon we traveled to The Valley of the Fire State Park where the starkness of the desert turns to rolling hills and glorious red rock formations jut from the earth. We were reminded that God’s own hand formed this land and we were viewing the crevices of His palm prints. Also, because Stephen is over the security of one of the bases, he set up a demonstration of the military dogs and their handlers. Let’s just say you do not want to reach out and pet one of these trained attack dogs.


However, one interesting side trips was to visit the famous Vegas strip. Our youngest son, Bryan, was with us and his Baptist Collegiate group from college had done a mission trip a couple of years earlier down on the strip. Needless to say, he became our strip tour guide. He quickly walked us through Caesar’s Place and we watched the fountain show in front of the Bellagio. As we are gawking at the sights, Bryan instructed all of us follow him because he had a surprise for me.



We pounded the pavement for several blocks and walked across a bridge to the opposite side of the street. Walking next me, Bryan leaned over and said, “Mom, your surprise is straight ahead.” Okay, I am thinking maybe I was going to see a statue of Elvis (yes, I am/was a fan). Suddenly, Bryan stops, smiles, points to a building and stated, “Here we are. This is your surprise.” Looking up I see these words in bright bold colors: M & M World. Girlfriends, I am not kidding it was a four story building completely dedicated to my favorite fun candy! I entered and all I could get out the entire time was, “Oh wow!” Then he led me to the second floor and to the back of the store. There before my amazed eyes was a wall from floor to ceiling with large tubes filled with every hue and favor of M & M possible. I went into total and complete shock. My family just laughed and guided me through the rest of the building. I do remember taking pictures but after I reached the car, I realized that I had not bought anything.



Well, I tell you all of this to say that God provides joy in many things. He gives us nature to remind us His creative side. He provides laughter of friends and family to sooth our souls. Starry nights shout His glory. He even provides M & M World for one of his little princesses here on earth. What an awesome God we serve!

1 comment:

Robyn Crumby Photography said...

AMEN! And I'm so glad God provides in BIG and small ways. He is so good!!!! I'm glad y'all came to visit. Come back anytime!