Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Poolside Lulu

Can summer be any busier? We have Vacation Bible School, church camps, mission trips, out-of-town guest, schools out and the kids are bored, vacations and an array of other activities but where is the time just to sit and relax. Where is a minister's wife to go for a break from the summer heat and hectic life?


Just a couple of days in to our Vacation Bible School week, two of my staff wives passed me in the church hallway and stated, "Lulu" and I just nodded and smiled. Other VBS volunteers overheard the comment and stared at us like we were speaking a foreign language. If you have not met me or read some of my post, you need to understand that "Lulu" is my fellow staff wives code for "I need a break!"


As I went home that day after VBS to look at my calendar to schedule our "Lulu" time, I grabbed a handful of Peanut M & Ms. Let me confess now that over the last couple of months I have gone through more large bags of Peanut M & Ms than I care to mention. I have even contemplated going to the more advanced super powered Almond M & Ms. I knew I seriously needed a "Lulu" with my sweet friends.


The following week Susan, Angie, and I were able to grab a couple of hours at my neighborhood pool. We brought along snacks (no chocolate because the heat would have melted it), sunscreen, water or sodas, and spirits that needed to be encouraged. Plus, we did not spend any money!


It was amazing how good it felt to just "be" with my sisters. I just love them. We can pour out hearts to one another and not worry about it being spred. What's amazing is that God always lets someone in our "Lulu" time provide a word of encouragement or wisdom. I just love that! The three of us left the pool that day lighter in spirit and a little tanner.


Girlfriends, I cannot stress enough the need for you to connect to other ministers wives who walk the same road as you do. You can find encouragement, share lessons you have learned, and do some laughing (the Father knows we need more of that in our lives).


If you do not have anyone that you can share with, send me a message. All it has to say is "Lulu" time needed!

No comments: