Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Standard

Our niece, Michaella, is visiting us this week from Louisiana. It is a special visit because she wanted to come spend time with us before she starts college this fall. She also mentioned that I was her favorite aunt (girlfriends, I'm her only aunt) and that I like to have fun. Let me just say that aunt and niece had a blast making No Bake Chocolate Drop Cookies and licking the pan on Friday night. Yep, she is a chocoholic like me!

Well, last night Michaella and her Uncle Ricky began discussing the family tradition. You see, my husband is a Louisiana Tech University graduate and Michaella will begin her freshman year there this fall. The Bulldog tradition carries further in the family because Michaella's dad, my brother, and our oldest son and his wife are all Tech grads.

In a true preacher voice, Ricky advice to Michaella went something like this: "Michaella, the standard has been set. You must keep the Tech tradition pure and holy. You must excel to be your best. You must rise to the level of a true Bulldog. Michaella, are you ready and able to be a Bulldog?" Michaella was giggling and I was just rolling my eyes. Funny how my blonde brain works. As Ricky and Michaella were bantering back and forth the qualilites of being a Louisiana Tech Bulldog, I was thinking on the standard set by Jesus.

Our Savior calls for us to rise to His standards. No, we will never be perfect, but we are to live our lives in such a way that is pure and holy. We are to strive to live our lives in a way that calls men, women, and children to the saving grace of our Lord. Jesus cheers us on to walk the narrow road and stay with the tradition of God's family.

I hope that one day when Michaella walks across the stage to receive her college diploma we are sitting in the stands cheering her on. More importantly I hope that when I walk through the gates of heaven and bow before the throne of God that He is cheering, "Well done my child!"

1 comment:

Sara said...

Love this, thanks for sharing.