Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A "Real" Fishbowl

One of the valuable nuggets of truth that I am taking from the retreat came from God through Shawna Shingleton.

Honestly, I cannot remember her exact session title, but her heart was evident. When she talked about the fishbowl we ministers' families live in, she gave me a whole new perspective. She challenged us to think about it as a positive instead of the negative. She pointed out that the world has plenty of negative fishbowls to watch. Have you watched much "reality" television lately?! We need to rise to the occasion and be the positive, healthy, godly example that our churches and communities need.

As I thought about this truth I realized that instead of resenting my aquarium status, I need to embrace it. After all, we are called to salt and light! Even Jesus spoke of setting the light on a stand to light the whole house. Ladies, we have the answer in Christ to every problem facing every home in America, shouldn't we want to advertise that? Shouldn't we let our home be the positive influence?

So, instead of trying to figure out how to "hide" in our fishbowl, my prayer is that the Vinson Family will be a "Real" fishbowl where the church and the community can see Christ at work in us. It may not always be pretty, but I am praying that it will always be authentic. Whatcha see is whatcha get!

Thanks for sharing your heart Shawna!

1 comment:

Pat said...

I agree that was a valuable nugget of truth and neither had I grasped it before! Guess it just shows how often we focus on the negative instead of the positive.

I, too, am praying that God uses the Brown "fishbowl" for positive especially for our daughter-in-law's family. Her father and brothers need God desparately! We are taking them to see "Courageous" on Sunday afternoon and praying that it will speak to their hearts. Please help us pray to that end.