Monday, December 5, 2011

Lord, What Am I Suppose To Do?

This is for all you dear precious ladies who are new to the role of minister’s/pastor’s wife.........

I remember those early days fourteen years ago when my husband was first called to be a minister. I remember feeling excited for him; now that I was a minister’s wife I wondered, “Lord, what am I suppose to do?” It was a new world for both of us, but the one thing I did know at that time was that no matter what, I would be a support for my husband as he did the work of the Lord.

As I mentioned in my introductory blog a few weeks ago, before my husband was called to be a senior pastor, he served as a minister in another church for seven years. He had various duties that he performed, and he became a leader in several capacities. I remember assisting with baptisms and helping to prepare for communion, but I had no “formal” duties. Yet during those years I began to spend more time in God’s Word, participating in Bible studies, and striving to grow as a Christian.

When my husband was called to be a senior pastor at a different church, I was excited then too, but still feeling to an even greater degree, “Lord, what am I suppose to do?” Now that I was a pastor’s wife, I wondered if I should get involved in as many church activities as possible and do all I could to be a “good pastor’s wife”. That would have been a formula for becoming burned out very quickly. Thankfully, a seasoned pastor gave me some advice a few months after I began my journey in this role. He told me to allow the Holy Spirit to lead and guide me regarding which ministries to participate in, because no one can do it all. That wise counsel has been a blessing to me ever since. Over these last seven years I have prayed and ask the Lord to lead me where He wants me to serve. It’s amazing to see that as we are lead by Him, He shows us that some things we do for a season, and some things may be life-long commitments.

If you are a student of the Word, you probably already know that the Scriptures are silent when it comes to spelling out the duties of a minister’s/pastor’s wife. So my dear friends who are new to the ministry, allow the Holy Spirit to be your counselor and let him show you where you are to serve Him and His people. In my blog in November titled “Can We Talk About Gifts”, I expounded on spiritual gifts; serve based on how He has gifted you. Then you will not have to wonder. . ."Lord, what am I suppose to do?” The Holy Spirit will show you where to go to work.

“For it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.” Philippians 2:13

No comments: