Monday, November 26, 2012

Happy Holidays!

My youngest showing us a piece from her nativity last year. 
I used to be of the camp that looked down my nose at the big box department stores barely sweeping the Halloween costumes out of the way to make room for tinsel, ribbons, lights and bows. I used to refuse to listen to the first refrain of the first Christmas carol until the day after Thanksgiving. Why rush it?

The last couple of years God has really been softening my heart.

The greeting "Happy Holidays!" has been given a bad rap. It has become synonymous with somehow trying to take Christ out of Christmas. And, sadly yes, that is many people's intent with using the phrase. BUT! I want to take it back!

This year I want to start being thankful for the incarnation at Thanksgiving. I want to start celebrating God's goodness in sending Emmanuel last weekend! I want the feelings and tidings of Christmas to flow all through the weeks of Advent into the promises of a new year.

I want to wish you a "Happy Holidays!" with Christ interwoven into each day of this season.

For the first time ever, I began decorating for the season before Thanksgiving. Yes, I packed the ceramic pumpkins and replaced them with my nativity scenes. Instead of three separate holidays, I am choosing to blend them together and celebrate God's blessings in one season.

Didn't the feasts and celebrations in the Bible last weeks? Why can't our celebration of God sending Himself to earth be just as long?

It isn't just about one day. We will end up celebrating Christmas over multiple gatherings and festivities and locations and miles anyway. In my heart, I have already begun.

After all, the word "holiday" comes from its original meaning, "holy day." Add the plural "s" and there we have have Holy Days. 

Ladies, I am wishing you a season of Happy Holy Days!

Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

Pat said...

Very well said, my friend!!