Monday, November 5, 2012

My Lifeline

When you hear the word “lifeline”, what comes to your mind?
To different people it can have a wide variety of meanings.  For some it may mean a special friend to confide in, or a much desired “comfort” food to help temporarily ease away the pains of life, or a little “retail therapy” to fulfill a void, or for those of you who have ever watched “Who Wants To Be a Millionaire”, it brings to mind making a request for assistance to figure out the answer to a difficult question.
This is how Webster’s Dictionary defines lifeline:   a line to which persons may cling for safety; something considered vital for survival.   Wow!  A lifeline involves safety and survival.   Those two attributes most definitely describe the lifeline in my life:  my quiet time with the LORD!  I do indeed feel safe in His presence, and I need His power in my life to survive!
Words really cannot express the extreme value and utmost importance my time with Him has made in my life.  Over the last several years, I have come to cherish and appreciate those moments when I talk with my Savior, read His Word, enjoy His presence, and simply invite Him to be in my day.  When I think about it, all my days belong to Him, so I desire for the Lord to guide my days.
Not wanting to be legalistic, but I seem to have a much better grasp of my days when I spend time with my Lord early in the day, before my time gets filled with schedules, tasks, and a host of other activities.  Some mornings when I awake, my heart is burdened with things that I need to talk with Him about…..things concerning my family, my plans for the day, church issues, having someone on my heart who is emotionally hurting or is physically sick. It’s amazing that after these consecrated times with Him, I feel as if a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.   Also, some days are more “mountain top” experiences than other days, but every time I get blessed! There is absolutely nothing like that special time intentionally spent alone in His presence!
So, my dear sisters, what about you?  Do you have a lifeline?  Do you have a spiritual discipline that has helped you to grow in Christ?  I would love to hear from you.
As for my lifeline……..I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT IT!!
“Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.”  Psalm 34:8

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I so agree. I have never been a morning person but over the past few years I have disciplined myself to get up very early and spend time with my Father. It's the best habit I've ever started. I wish I had done this all my life. I love my early time with God. Thanks for the post.