Monday, May 15, 2017

the Bible - What I Say & What I Live

The Bible.

What do you believe about it?

Do your actions and attitudes back up what you'd say you believe?

I have had the privilege and honor of preparing some Bible studies for this coming weekend - on the Bible.

The focus of these studies aren't "apologetic" in nature. I am not trying to defend my belief in the Bible. Nor am I trying to explain how the canon, the Old and New Testaments, were decided upon, but rather, I am expanding and exposing what I would say I have always believed about the scriptures.

It is more than 66 smaller books bound under one title. It is greater than the 40 some human co-authors the Spirit inspired used to place ink on parchment. While, I fully believe in God's wisdom in selecting the 3 original languages it was written in, there is most definitely something more than just translations of ancient texts.

No, the Bible is not metaphorical stories with good moral lessons.

Yes, the Bible is a factual, historical collection of documents that science is more often than not, proving reliable and true.

BUT

It is so much more.

It is inherent and true. All of it, to be believed as it is written.

It is God's revelation of Himself, to us, His creation. Living on this side of the cross, having the HUGE grace of being able to learn about Him through the written word is an incredible blessing.

It is alive. (Isaiah 40:8)

It is powerful. (Romans 1:16-17, 1 Corinthians 1:18)

It is purposeful. (Isaiah 55:11)

It is profitable. (2 Timothy 3:16)

It is perfect and proven true. (Psalm 18:30)

Confession time - I have more copies of God's Word then I can lay hands on. I have a couple of digital copies on my phone and iPad. I leave it sit around on various surfaces in my house, including my floor. I go days without really opening it, much less really reading it....

In it are the words of Life. yet, I take my ease of access to it for granted. And, all too often, it is the last place I go to for direction, help and hope.

Can you relate?

Through my study, I have become convicted. I treat the Bible way to casually. In my familiarity of it, I have lost my reverence for it.

Today I have found myself overwhelmed with the demands of my job, my commitments, and my family. A friend texted a paraphrased truth found in scripture and I, literally, felt the direction, help and hope I needed.

The theme verse for our studies this weekend is Psalm 119:114 and in a very real way was proven true to me today:

"You are my hiding place and my shield;
I hope in your word."

Forgive me Lord.
Thank You for Your grace.
Thank You for Your word and ALL that it is....

No comments: