Saturday, October 21, 2017

Pastor’s (Wife) Appreciation

A pastor’s wife: in the shadows, unnoticed, isolated, talked about, taken for granted, lonely.

These are just a few descriptive terms that come to mind as I reflect on the experience of a pastor’s wife. But for all the “negativity” that comes with this very unique role, I also see a pastor’s wife as: supportive, encouraging, available, courageous, and strong. When I reflect on the latter, more “positive terms”, I can only recall from my own experience as a pastor’s wife the ways that the Lord has equipped me.

Yes, at times, we may be in the shadows, unnoticed, or isolated, but it is from these places of loneliness that the Lord can develop courage and strength, “prayer warrior” strength, to pray, not only for ourselves, but also to intercede for others. I consider it a blessed ministry of a pastor’s wife to regularly and passionately pray for the members of the church family.

People will always talk about us, but people talked about Jesus, so we are in GREAT company! We can’t please everyone, so let us focus on what pleases the Lord (Ephesians 5:10).

And for those times when you feel taken for granted for the service you render, remember that our Father “is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown toward His name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints.” (Hebrews 6:10).

Also, as a word of encouragement, two of the best things that have been a lifeline to me as I have served as a pastor’s wife for over 13 years are God’s Word and prayer. Being able to “cry” on the Lord’s shoulder in prayer, and have His Spirit teach me and comfort me in the Scriptures are priceless gifts from Him; I’m sure that many of you have discovered this to be true as well.

So, in honor of the month that recognizes the services of pastors, I just wanted to say to you my sisters,

Pastor’s Wife You Are Appreciated!!

No comments: