Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My Garden

This is my second summer to try my hand at gardening. It is a learning experience that I am enjoying. I have made mistakes and had successes. The best thing is, we are eating fresh vegetables almost every night!

How does this apply to the life of a minister's wife? I am so glad you asked me that question. I am learning much about God's work in my life through this garden. Let me share with you one of the things I have discovered.

The garden needs water everyday. I know this seems simple, but it is amazing how quickly the plants wilt in one day. Sometimes I water in the evening thinking if I really soak the plants they will not need water the next day. Each time I have tried this I have seen plants wilt and some even die.

What does this have to do with you and me? We need the "Living Water" everyday. I believe in ministry it is easy to think we can soak ourselves on Sunday or during a Bible study and that will carry us through a day or two. Inevitably, we begin to wilt.

If we are not drinking the "Living Water" Jesus offers, when the heat comes we will die. It is impossible to stand up to the trials that come our way without God filling us up from head to toe.

Watering the garden takes time. I have to make sure every plant gets enough water to soak into the roots and make that root system strong enough to survive the heat of the day.

How are your roots? Are you firmly planted? Are you getting enough of that "Living Water"? Take time today to check your root system. How are you responding to your children being under your feet all day? Are you loving your husband? What are you doing with the criticisms or 'helpful hints' that church members are giving you?

John 7:38 "He who believes in Me, as the Sceripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."

I so want "rivers of living water" to flow from my life. Take the time you need to soak those roots and let them go deep.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Karen,
Thanks for the reminder of the importance of never neglecting "watering" my soul! As much as I know that truth, it still can be so easy some days to get up in a hurry and run out the door trying to live off yesterday's water. I love your gardening analogies and plan to copy these (with your name attached, of course :-) to some of my MOPS and women's ministry leadership gals to remind them of the same and encourage them to remember always what is MOST important. Thanks for taking the time to write these for us each day. Appreciate you and your ministries so much!