Friday, July 24, 2009

Try it! You Might Like it!!

Well….I got into my yoga pants, donned one tee-shirt after another trying to find one long enough to “cover” and yet not so big that it would not fall down over my head if I had to bend over in class, and with much fear and trembling, drove to the gym to meet my friend for my first yoga class.

And what to my wondering eyes did appear but three friendly, smiling women….two who had been coming for a few months and one who was attending for the first time like us!! We were not alone!! They reassured us that we could do it…how great it was….and how wonderful it made them feel. Still very skeptical, I entered into the “dark room” where spa like music was playing, tried not to look at anyone else in the room for fear I would turn and run, and began to experience something that I had dreaded for years….and ended up loving!!!

Yes! I loved it! It was challenging but not intimidating. It was actually quite relaxing! I was not able to do a lot of the moves/stances…but I did not care and certainly no one else did either! Why in the world did I think that anyone would care (or even notice for that matter) if I could or could not do the moves?? Why in the world do I let my mind speak untruth to me and why do I believe it? No one cared what I was or was not doing….and I did not care what anyone else was doing!! We were all too busy trying to focus on what we needed to do!!

I know that there are a lot of experiences out there that I would really end up loving to do if I would just give it a try!! If I would just quit being so fearful, or lazy, or doubting, or intimidated, or whatever, and just do it!! There are a number of things I never thought I would enjoy—like some foods, or music, or books, or activities, or people, or ministries, etc.—so I would never give them a chance. The Lord is teaching me that I am wrong about a lot of things. That I need to listen to Him. Seek Him. Get out of my routine and comfort zone and try different things. Do different things. Stretch. Grow. Experience more.

I will never forget when I found out I was pregnant with our daughter, Ashleigh. I never thought I could do natural childbirth….but I did. I never thought I would be able to nurse her….and I did. I remember thinking at the time…that I underestimate the things God can and wants to do in me, through me and in spite of me….if I would just be willing to try.

What is it you have never wanted to do? Why not give it a try? You might like it!

What is it that you always wanted to do but never thought you could do? Try it!! You might be surprised!!

Do you sense God has something for you to do but you are intimidated? Fearful? Knowing full well that you are incapable? Good! Now you can let God do it through you!!

Step out before the summer is over and try something new or different!! Who knows, You might even like it!!

No comments: