Monday, July 20, 2009

Women at the SBC

First, let me say what a joy it was to get to meet the precious lady (Pat) who wanted my extra ticket to the minister’s wives lunch at the SBC last month. I love the fact that I could put the available ticket out through the BLOG, get a contact from a woman who needed it, somehow connect with her amidst the zillions of people in Louisville and hand over the ticket after a few squeals and hugs and introductions!!

For some odd reason I like to delude myself into thinking no one really reads what I write. Oh, by all means they read Tara’s, Karen’s, Vickie’s and Jeannie’s….but heaven forbid that anyone read mine. So you can imagine what a shock it was for me to get a contact about the ticket….someone out there really reads this stuff!!! It sort of reminds me of when our kids were little and they would hide by covering their eyes…they thought no one could see them that way!! They become invisible.

Why am I so fearful to tell anyone I know about this blog? Why have I not given out the website to other sisters I know in the ministry? Why did I hesitate giving it to a current staff wife when she asked about it? I would LOVE to know the answer!! Please, let me know if you have any insight!!!

Second. I was standing in the hallway at the SBC chit-chatting (I learned not too long after attending my first SBC that a LOT of time is spent standing around chit-chatting!!) when I heard a very soft voice ask “are you Dana Henderson?” I turned around and there stood a beautiful, dark haired, petite woman with a face that I recognized from over 35 years ago!! Patti went to high school with me in Dallas, TX and I had not seen her since I graduated decades ago!! The amazing thing was I had thought about her a lot over the years and just last month had her on my heart!! She is married to a SBC pastor. She ministers to minister’s wives in her state. She sees the same hurt and pain and joy that we do.

Was she shocked that I had married a minister??? Probably!!! Thank God I am not who I was….and praise Him that I am not who I will be!! Am I the only minister’s wife out there whose friends from high school would be surprised they married a minister??? Oh, and by the way, how did she know it was me? She said she recognized me!! That I looked just the same!! Right!! Just the same with a lot more wrinkles and weight!!

Third. I invited a new friend to the minister’s wives lunch. She is not just a new friend to me but she is also a new pastor’s wife. She is not just a new pastor’s wife but she is also new to the SBC. I had forgotten what it was like when I first married Ernie and knew nothing about the SBC. Her great questions and our discussions reminded me that not every minister’s wife grew up in a Southern Baptist church and understands all the “ins and outs” of our convention. Perhaps you know someone who is new not only as a minister’s wife, but also to the SBC. Take her under your wing. Encourage her. Show her “the ropes”. Realize that she might not ask questions but might feel lost or left out. I sure remember feeling very lost and left out many times.

Have a great day and know you are loved!!

1 comment:

Pat said...

Hi Dana,
I really do appreciate the ticket for the SBC Luncheon. We found another one and got to meet up with a friend and join her for lunch. If you hadn't posted that ticket, we probably wouldn't have gone. I am sooo glad you did!

It was great meeting you. Keep up the great posts. There are people reading.