Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Exercise: It Does Your Body Good!

My philosophy on exercise has been whenever I get in the mood to exercise; I lay on the couch until I get over it!! To say it mildly, I dislike exercising! I abhor it. Detest it. Loath it. I have an aversion to sweat, pain, being intimidated by the machines at the gym and the, skinny, vigorous people who work out there. Yet, I know I desperately need to do it. I must do it for my health.

Since going to the gym was always too daunting and pricey for me, for years I resorted to attempting the video at home. I would put on my spandex outfit, sit on the couch and watch the beautiful, in shape people work out. Obviously, that did not do much good!! Several years ago I began going to Curves and was faithful to go weekly….hating every minute of it….and gaining weight with every month. I suppose that was due to the fact that I would leave Curves and go get a Dr. Pepper and a cheeseburger or breakfast burrito from Sonic!!

At the first of this year I joined a workout place. I had run out of excuses and knew a life change was needed. As I walked into the facility, I felt as if all the machines grew eyes and each one was sneering at me as I walked through the maze trying to determine what in the world was I suppose to do. I tried the stair monster and treadmill and decided I could master the treadmill. So, for these past 6 months I have faithfully exercised…still detesting every minute….still not seeing any great results….but doing it anyway.

My husband’s administrative assistant approached me recently about going with her (she also is a member at the same place) so that we could hold each other accountable. Absolutely! Desperate for relationships and anything to distract me from the boredom in what I was doing…I jumped at the opportunity. One catch….we would work out at 5:00 a.m. so she could get to work early and get things done before all of the other staff arrives. What in the world??? Get up and be at the gym ready to go by 5:00 in the morning???? I agreed! Again, I need and long for accountability, distraction and relationships!!

Along with the morning torture, part of our weekly routine will be a Yoga class after church Wednesday nights and a Pilate's class Thursday nights. I have always wanted to go to one of the classes they offered (I thought it surely would be more fun than the treadmill and machines I attempted to do) but I was way too fearful to go by myself. Daunted by many things; not knowing steps or moves, feeling like everyone would look at me and laugh or sneer, thinking I would be the only one there who did not know anyone, etc., I never had the drive or determination to go.

Tonight is our first class and I just got home from purchasing Yoga pants (UGH!!). I have never in my life put on anything so tight!! My pantie lines were screaming; “Look at me!!” How in the world do you keep pantie lines from showing in yoga pants? Please don’t tell me not to wear panties!! I am digressing….

I am not fearful now that I will be going with Connie. Nothing has changed except that I won’t walk into the room alone. I won’t be the only one who does not know what to do. Connie will be with me.

Church or Sunday school or Bible study can be intimidating and fearful for many people as well. Walking into a class or church for the first time can be quite frightening. For many of us, it is comfortable and we don’t understand why people don’t just come. We know the ‘ropes’. We know people will be welcomed. We know no one will make them feel uncomfortable. But do they know that? They might wonder if someone will ask them a question they don’t know. They wonder if someone will call on them to pray out loud. We must remember that for many people….they need someone to go with them, assure them, give them confidence.

I must go now and get ready for church and Yoga!! I'll let you know how it goes....that is, if I am not too sore and can move my fingers!!

No comments: