Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Doing Our Own Thing

Sometimes I just do not engage my brain before striking out on my own in a situation. I have a stubborn streak that I inherited from my dad; however, it could also be from a chocolate overload which results in a sugar rush. I often see something that needs to be done or handled and will set out to get it done. All too often I do not consult anyone or even God and as a result my good intentions usually mess things up even worse.

Often people in our churches do the same thing. They tend to see something that needs to be done and take off on their own and attempt to fix things. They often never seek the advice or council of the church as a whole or even the Lord. Striking out on our own in a church can lead to disunity and confusion. Although our intentions are good, sometimes good intentions can be harmful.

I can just imagine our Heavenly Father looking down from His throne at the entire human race. He sees a lot of good intentions but also a big mess made by us. I know I have broken God’s heart many times when I set out to do something without consulting Him. I also believe that the human race has broken God’s heart many times when we attempt to do things on our own and not following His plan. As a result I believe our Father has to spend a lot of time cleaning up our messes which takes away from the mission of reaching lost people.

Christians must work together not independently to reach the lost for Christ. When we act out of God’s plan sometimes our witness can be harmed. This is a lesson I am learning too. Before I tackle another task at church or wherever, I need to ask the Father if this is His plan for me or does He have something else in mind.

No comments: