Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Great Escape

I think middle Tennessee is safe from an explosion for a while longer. I personally know that a disaster was averted and peace has been restored. Maybe I should explain in more detail.


Over the past few weeks and months I have been overwhelmed with issues. In the spring I suffered a severe allergy/sinus infection. May brought the flood of the century. During the summer months I spent my time recovery from a herinated neck disk. Top all these issues with church and family responsibilities and you have one stressed-out, overwhelmed, empty and weary minister's wife. I even told my church staff wives that if I did not get away I was going to explode all over Bellevue. I was literally on the verge of running away and only taking a five pound bag of peanut M & Ms with me!


Instead God had other plans. He already knew what my life was going to be like. Several months ago He nudged Lana Rose, who heads up ministers wives events through the Tennessee State Convention, to pull a group of ladies together to plan a fall retreat for ministers wives in our state. He knew that to prevent the burnout of a minister's wife that the retreat needed to be in the peaceful, beautiful setting of the foothills of the Smokies. He knew that other wives just like me would be attending. We all would need encouragement, rest, laughter and chocolate.


Well sisters, the retreat was just last weekend and it was perfectly timed by a Lord who knows just when to step in to renew His children. I for one was completely blessed through the fellowship, breakout sessions, and the love poured on all of us. We came in very casual clothes; not Sunday dress up garb. Sisters, there were no panty hose at this retreat. Jeans, flip-flops, and ponytails were welcome. My only regret was that the retreat ended all too quickly and all the sisters had to go back to the real world.


The drive home with my staff wives from my church was a blessing. We talked, laughed and enjoyed an array of chocolate goodies. At one point during the ride home, I remembered that Jesus had to escape the crowds and demands of ministry so He could be renewed and communicate with the Father. I even asked the question to the Father if His Son ever felt like exploding because He was overwhelmed.


So sisters, when was your last great escape? Was it a retreat, a spa day, a lunch date or a walk in the park? If you attended this retreat, I would love to hear your thoughts about the weekend.

2 comments:

TXGirl said...

The nugget I took from the weekend was when Rachel Lovingood was giving her testimony about traeling to seminary and she said, with her hands cupped one over the other, "You could be in the worst storm of your life and God still could have you in the center of His will."

I also loved walking by the creek and taking pictures with the minister's wives.

Unknown said...

I had an absolutely wonderful time. I am a new pastors wife but grew up as a PK. My mother never had the luxury of retreats. I know the difficulties of ministry but it is a whole different realm when you become the Pastor's Wife. Thank you so much for a wonderful weekend and to the ladies I traveled with, I am thankful to God for new found friends I know I can come to for wisdom, accountability and a shoulder to cry on. I look forward to our next retreat!