Thursday, September 30, 2010

Love, Cherish and Wait!

When I married Doug I gladly took those traditional wedding vows. I was so excited, so young and so naive.

As we began to serve together I discovered there was something left out of those vows. It is the word "WAIT".

I would fix dinner and just as it was ready to serve the phone would ring. "Honey, I have to go to the hospital for a quick visit with someone. Could we WAIT on dinner?"

Every Sunday my pastor husband stood at that door shaking hands. The boys and I would talk to those around us. Finally, the last person was going out the door and I would hear, "Pastor, do you have a few minutes to talk?" He would look over at me with our three young sons and I knew, WAIT.

I learned early on to bring snacks, games and even a small pillow in the car, just in case.

In James we are told that patience will make us perfect, complete and lacking nothing. God certainly used ministry with Doug to learn patience. You know, now that I think about it, we lacked nothing!

No comments: