Friday, July 1, 2011

Unity

Can you believe that we have completed the first half of 2011 and July 4th is Monday? If you are like me this year has been a race against time to see what else can be put on my plate. Usually, 4th of July means added tensions because we always have family or friends visiting or we are on a trip.

Although I love having people in our home, I get myself so stressed out at times planning that I forget to just enjoy my company. Usually, we have the entire family here so that means planning the menu for several days and deciding where everyone will sleep (who gets the two beds, who gets the sleeper sofa, and who gets the air mattresses and couches). When everyone arrives it is interesting to see where the luggage goes and a fight for bathroom time. By the end of the extend family time, there are a few "discussions" that have taken place. However, this weekend is unusual for the Lee family. We have no one coming to visit and we have no 4th of July plans. It feels really odd.

As I was having my quiet time this morning, I ran across Psalm 133:1 which says, "How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity." I began to think about the sweet times that our family has had over the years celebrating our nations freedom. Then I thought about the times when I was so stressed by the time everyone arrived that I had to force myself to focus because I was zapped of energy.

I believe this verse also applies to our church families. It is awesome when the church family is in one accord. God is able to do some mighty works for His glory when our energies and thoughts are centered on Him. However, when disunity rears its ugly head in the church, our focus is taken off the Lord and placed on the problem at hand. When issues arrive in the church it robs us of our Christian example we have in our communities and robs God of the ministry He wants to do through us. We become so bogged down on the situation that our spirits are defeated and often we give up.

I am a firm believer that our biological families as well as our Christian brothers and sisters should strive to get along. We should enjoy one another's company and fellowship. We should seek to find the good in all people and be peacemakers if necessary. I, like many of you, have family members who are not Christians. When they see me stressed and arguing with my own family I wonder what they are thinking of me as a Christian. Likewise, our church family and our community should see the best in us and we should strive to live in unity for the glory of God's kingdom.

As this national holiday approaches, I pray that you enjoy your time with your families and there is no disharmony over the sleeping arrangements. I also pray that your church is unified in serving Jesus and furthering His kingdom.

P.S. Below is one of my favorite, easy, stressful desserts that I always serve on the 4th of July. I hope you enjoy it even though it is not chocolate.

Lemonaid Pie

1/2 carton of Cool Whip
2 cups of frozen yogart (I use Kroger brand)
1 small package of Crystal Light Rasberry Lemonaid mix

Blend all ingredients and pour into graham cracker crust. Place in freeze. Remove a few minutes before serving and top with remainer of Cool Whip.

No comments: