Friday, October 19, 2012

Facebook #2

In a post dated June 11, 2010, I talked about Facebook.  Why I did not want to be a part of it.  Why the entire concept seemed odd to me.  And why I eventually succumbed to being a part of it.  (You might want to refer to the post to read what I am talking about.)

Since that time I rarely, if ever, “post” (because I am way too private and insecure to do that!) but I do enjoy seeing pictures of friends and their families and keeping up with the lives of people and reconnecting with many friends that I never get to see.  However, not too long ago, I realized it had become problematic.  Facebook was causing me to sin!!  Yep!  There—I said it!  Facebook was causing me to sin!!

By now you might be thinking….what in the world!??  But, honestly, it is true.  Here are a few examples:

  • I was jealous when I read about people who were doing fun things together without me.
  • I was anxious when I read about someone in our church visiting another church.
  • I was fearful when I tried to read into what someone was not saying.
  • I was angry when I read people criticizing others.
  • I was frustrated when I read another pastor’s wife complaining publicly.
  • I was wasting time.
  • I was critical.
  • And the list could go on and on!!

So, what was I to do?  Confess for sure (once I finally understood that I was sinning when I read posts—which unfortunately took me way too long to comprehend)!!  Then I realized, for me, for a season, reading Facebook daily was not healthy.  I checked for messages and to see if anyone wanted to be my “friend”, but I had to stop reading everyone’s posts for a while.

Do any of you sin using Facebook or is it just me?  It is amazing how the enemy filtrates areas of our lives without us even realizing it!  Now I know that before I even open up Facebook, I must pray first!!  Asking God to protect my heart and my mind and to give me self-control and not waste time…..etc!

I love you guys….and I really do want to be your friend…..and I do want to pray for you and encourage you and hear about what is happening in your life and in your family’s lives and I do want to see your pictures….I just want to do it all without sinning!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can so relate to the "Facebook sin". I had to close my account for awhile. I'm thinking about getting back on because sadly that is how most women commnicate these days. When I say I'm not on Facebook I get that 'isn't-that-nice' look and then the inevitable ignore because I'm not in the loop. Thanks for the post.