Thursday, October 4, 2012

Milestones

Have you ever taken the time to reflect on milestones in your life?  A milestone could be a birthday (physical birth and spiritual birth), a graduation, a marriage, the birth of a child, a new job, a mission trip, a ministry assignment, a retirement.  It could be many things; we all have several of these life-defining moments when we have gone to a new season or made a transition in our lives.
In the past, I have reflected on various milestones that have occurred over my life, and I started contemplating milestones recently when my husband celebrated his 50th birthday.  Wow, that’s amazing, half a century!  Now by no means do I think that is old, especially since I’m not too far behind him! In fact, 60, 70, and even 80 do not seem that old to me anymore.  (It’s amazing how our prospective on age changes as we get older!)
I do realize that not all milestones revive pleasant memories.  For instance, the death of a loved one, a lost friendship, a job loss, a move, and others such as these can trigger memories and emotions that we sometimes try not to relive. Yet even in the midst of these types of milestones, I believe that the Lord can remind us how He has kept us and given us comfort in these valley experiences. 
Reflecting on joyful milestones in our lives can remind us of what a good God we serve and how He has lavishly showered us with blessing after blessing over the course of our lives.  Sometimes it is refreshing to recall the different seasons in our lives where we knew for certain that God was working, perhaps you could even write about these moments in a journal. 
One milestone (and there are sooooo many) that I want to share is the fact that I was given the opportunity to contribute to this blog.  The Lord knows that I love to write and I love to encourage, and I praise God that He took my desire and made it a reality, and my goal is to honor Him with every post!
Do you have special milestones in your life?  Take the time to reflect on your own personal life-defining moments, and see just how FAITHFUL the Lord has been in your life!
Consider the wonderful words of the psalmist:
 I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done.  Psalm 143:5

No comments: