Monday, July 1, 2013

FLW Tournament

The FLW Tour stopped in Dayton this weekend.  Saturday, we went to the weigh-in.  WOW....what a crowd!  There was not a parking space left in the Walmart Parking lot.....cars were parked in neighboring parking lots and down the highway, etc.  The weigh-in brought in lots of local folks and people from all over the Southeast.  (FYI.....this is a Pro Bass Fishing Tour.)

Dayton is a small town and the money brought in from this tournament will make a big difference.  Three local men were fishing in the tournament and all of them finished in the top ten.  One of the guys that has been coming to our church finished 2nd place.

I say all of this to say....at the weigh-in on Saturday, I stood there and looked at the crowd.  It was hot as fire.  People were sweating and miserable...............but everyone was enjoying being there.  I got to thinking.....wouldn't it be awesome if folks would show up at church and not care if it was too hot or too cold or too noisy or too long, etc.?  Instead....everyone seems to find "excuses" to avoid church.

I went home and kept pondering on the thought about church.  I even woke up Sunday morning thinking....I wonder if anyone will be at church.  You know....it IS vacation time, so the crowds usually start thinning....

MUCH to my surprise.....Sunday morning for preaching.....our church was FULL.  One family of six came in during the welcome and had to walk all the way to the front row to find a seat that would hold them all.  People were coming out of the wood-work.  We estimated that there were probably 150 there which is at the very low end.  (You have to remember....we are a small bi-vocational country church.)  And, I did not hear anyone say the temperature was too hot or too cold or anything negative.  (I had to stop and ask God for forgiveness for my lack of faith.................."oh, ye of little faith.")

God is so good..............and I praise Him for working in our church!!!  (I know it seems as if I brag a lot about our little church..................I AM very proud and thankful for our church, but it has not always been the case.  We have definitely had our shadows and valleys....but they just make the joy ever more sweet.)

BTW....our grandson, Cameron got his picture made with the Bass Fishing Pro, Jimmy Houston....

No comments: