Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Worship -N- Singing

I can't sing.

I mean I can sing, but I can't sing in such a way that would cause the average person to take notice. I can sometimes stay on key, but I was the kid in children's choir at church that had to have the leader show me with her hand when the notes went up or down the scale.

However, I love to sing my worship. I can make a joyful noise with the best of them. I love to get lost in the music and sing for my Audience of One.

Recently, this is where the Mercy Me song, "Greater," comes in.

Over the last three weeks I have worshipped unashamedly singing it in my shower shampooing my hair, in my car with the windows rolled down, running my errands, walking down the church hallways, with my family and all alone. I've whispered the lyrics and shouted them too. I have danced with my eyes closed and prayed the truths with my eyes wide opened.

In my daily struggle to keep my focus on Christ, this song has been, (no pun intended!), instrumental. I have needed these scriptural truths sung into my life to help me claim them as my own.


  • "Greater is the One living inside of me, than he who is living in the world."
  • "I am Holy, Righteous and Redeemed."
  • "There are days I lose the battle, grace says that it does not matter, for the cross already won the war."
  • "I'm learning to run freely, understanding just how He sees me and it makes me love Him more and more."


Each line of this song has resonated within my soul and I have been able to claim these truths as my own as I sing them back to the God who makes them all truth.

So . . . Maybe I can't sing, but I can most definitely worship. And, for me, worship is as much for me as it is for the One I worship. It is crucial to our relationship. It is critical for my spiritual well-being and He alone deserves that focus.

How / where do you worship through song?

No comments: