Thursday, June 11, 2015

My VBS Lessons Learned

Lucas and Victoria are the youngest high school students who were selected to lead the middle school VBS at our church. The rest of the team are either incoming high school seniors or recent high school grads.

This week, I have had the honor and the privilege of being the supervising "adult" in a couple of the small groups these two have had the responsibility to lead.

Victoria has done an awesome job leading out in the Bible study sessions and Lucas has really "rocked" leading games with the middle school boys. I've watched Victoria engage and interest a co-ed group of seventh graders in the days' lessons. I've played Elbow Tag, Freeze Tag, Capture the Flag, Dodge Ball and more under Lucas's direction.

They've both taken direction. They've both stepped up and assumed quite a bit of responsibility. They've both grown as leaders of their peers and as followers of Christ. They've both taught me a lot.

First, I'm not as young as I used to be! While running from "it," I pulled some muscle in my leg today.

Second, I want to be as teachable as Lucas and Victoria. They were the youngest, but have learned everything we asked them to. They rose to the occasion overcoming insecurities and fears. An outsider would never guess that they were our youngest leaders. No one will look down on them because they are young.

Third, I need to be intentional in mentoring the students at church. Yes, I teach a youth Sunday School class, but I need to be looking for ways to turn them loose and let them lead. How can we ask the next generation to be leaders if we never give them the opportunity? They are more than capable and they want the chance. I need to do more than just prep a lesson each week. I'm not sure what exactly that looks like, but I know our God will show me.

Yes, the VBS lessons have come primarily out of the book of Daniel, but God has been faithful to teach me so much more than the curriculum writers ever had in mind. Isn't it neat how He does that?



No comments: