Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Happiest Place on Earth

Recently, we were blessed with our first vacation in years. Neither my husband nor myself knew how much we needed the break until we were there. Our five year old daughter was delighted to have both us to herself for a whole week. It was wonderful to be away from the phone, the long-to-do list, and our normal, crazy routine. 

It was just us and the other thousands visiting Walt Disney World. 

We had a fantastic time, exploring this wonderland through the eyes of our daughter, Riley. It truly was a magical place where her (and my) dreams came true. I loved watching her imagination work. She loved every minute and I realized how blessed we were when she went days without complaining about walking everywhere, standing in line or the stifling heat. 

We didn't have to look far to appreciate that she is the exception, rather than the rule of typical Disney World behavior. Actually, my husband and I had a running joke. Every few minutes it would seem that we would pass an upset child or a stressed out parent totally losing it here in the middle of "The Happiest Place on Earth." We honestly couldn't understand why parents would bring some children that were really just too young to enjoy the park. It seemed to be more torture to these little ones, and too much hard work for the parents for it to be any real fun at all. 

The irony of the child's frustration mixed with the mother's anger against the setting of fairy tales, adventures and all things fun was funny to us . . .  probably because Riley wasn't the frustrated child and I wasn't the angry mom. We avoided those problems with a positive mindset and the presence of the Holy Spirit. Having His help and His perspective, Disney could be the fun place that Walt imagined.

All of this really got me to thinking . . . At Disney everyone is supposed to be happy and having fun, but by watching many of those there you would never guess it.  There was crying and yelling and, yes, even some gnashing of teeth. I really couldn't understand why certain people bought tickets and had chosen to spend their vacation there. 

But aren't our churches like this? .  . . We are supposed to have joy and be welcoming. There is supposed to be unity and healing, yet, we often feel attacked rather than attached. No wonder the world outside our stained-glass windows is uninterested in the gospel. Why would they want to choose to spend time within our doors? It doesn't matter that it is free . . . 

I totally understand why they wouldn't want to subject themselves to all our drama. If God hadn't given me a love for the church, I know I wouldn't want to have any part of it either. The irony at our churches is far from funny. No inside jokes here. My question/challenge to us, as minister's wives, is how can we actively pursue what the church is supposed to be? How can we seek to change the image of our churches in our communities for the glory of God?

I believe in prayer. I believe in the Holy Spirit's work. I believe God is readying is Bride for His return . . . . and that's no fairy tale . . . 

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I saw the stress, the kids with the meltdowns too and thought it extremely ironic! I'm so glad someone shares my view. I was one who took my baby. It was work. I was nursing in the rain during a very crowded parade at night. I was stressed and don't want to go again for 3 years at least. My older girls had a fantastic time as did their very joyful father! So glad your daughter had a wonderful time. I bet she was one of the cute, dressed up princesses. Good article relating it to the church. I have been blessed with the love for the church too. May God open the eyes of those on the outside looking in to see that He really is all He's cracked up to be and the church is a blessing really most of the time as we grow with really imperfect people (that's including me-the pastor's wife)