Thursday, June 5, 2008

ONE OF THOSE MONTHS....

Well, it has just been one of those months!!!! You know what I am talking about...the kind where there is not enough time to possibly get done all that you need to accomplish. You beg God to send a legion of angels to help you because you know that is the only way to check off everything on your list. That is the kind of month I have had....

To begin with, our nephew graduated Mother's Day weekend in Arkansas, which is a 12 hour drive. After the commencement (another hour away) we were driving back to my sister's home when got into some terrible weather. There were tornadoes all around and one of them touched down five miles from us. That made for some very interesting driving in the mountains. Then later that night we got a phone call that a precious lady in our church had died of cancer. She had fought this battle with all her might, but God had other plans. So we started home with heavy hearts.

When we arrived back we not only had the funeral that week, but a young lady closely related to this family, was also getting married on Saturday. So we were dealing with a wide scope of emotions. I ended up helping a lot with the decorating for the wedding because the aunt that was suppose to do it was the sweet lady that passed away. I spent the majority of the week at church (doesn't that sound familiar????) between the two events and didn't get anything done at home. Normally that would not be a problem except that the following Saturday we were having 25 guests for our granddaughter's first birthday party, and 8 of them were out of town family that were spending the weekend.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was out of town and Thursday I had meetings all day (literally from 9:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.) That left only Friday morning and Friday afternoon to get everything done for the party since the family was arriving in time for supper. Well between me and the legion of angels that God DID send, we got it done. I was in high gear to say the least. After supper we all went to work and we got the decorations done and the house set up. My daughter had chosen a ladybug theme and there were ladybugs EVERYWHERE. It turned out darling. There was as much fanfare for this party as the wedding of Princess Diana and Prince Charles!!! And our little Madelyn Elizabeth seemed to have a great time (and really - that was all that mattered!!) The party lasted well after the 4:00 deadline with the majority of them staying for supper as well. We had a blast.

Sunday was filled with the regular high pace activities...Sunday School, Church, meetings, luncheons......Memorial Day was fun spent with family and friends....and then everyone began leaving with the last one departing on Wednesday. To say I was tired is putting it mildly. Of course by then it was time to start all over. I had 12 loads of laundry and all of the beds to change and bathrooms to clean....

But then I began to think of our friend who had died and all of a sudden I realized how blessed I was to be healthy and have a body that could do all these things. I thanked God for giving us our precious granddaughter and the opportunity to celebrate with her; I thanked Him for giving us two wonderful daughters who thrill our souls by just walking into the room and I thanked Him that they are married to two great men who love Him and love our girls; and I thanked God for the gift of my sweet husband who loves me despite all the commotion I seem to cause.

I know being married to a minister is sometimes very difficult. We are called to do things that are not in our "job description". We go at life 90 to nothing and sometimes barely get a chance to catch our breath...but in reality I wouldn't want it any other way. I count it a blessing to be able to work until I am so tired my body aches, because then I know I am alive!!!!

No comments: