Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Precious

Psalm 116:5 "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His Saints."




I drove to North Carolina this past week to speak at Ridgecrest. As I was driving I called to check on my sweet friend, Katrina. Katrina has been fighting ovarian cancer.


Her husband answered the phone and told me she had not been awake for several days and her son was sitting beside her. As we talked and prayed, she opened her eyes. Steve quickly hung up and a few short minutes later called me back. He said, "Katrina is with Jesus." She opened her eyes and looked at Steve and her son, Isaac and mouthed the words, "I love you". Then she was with Jesus.

Katrina has been one of my best friends for the past 20 years. She walked with me through the death of my sweet, pastor husband. She prayed me through my son's cancer and then my own cancer. I so love Katrina.


As I drove to Ridgecrest I cried out to my Father! "I am going to miss her, Lord. Her husband and son are going to miss her. I hurt for them and me. Please, Lord, help me turn this grief into rejoicing. I know where she is, but I hurt."


As I cried and drove, my wonderful Father in heaven reminded me of one of my last conversations with my earthly father.


My dad was dying of cancer and as I sat with him, he asked me to find the verse that said the death of God's children was precious to Him. I found Psalm 116:5 and read it out loud to my dad. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."


I told my dad, I did not understand. At that point, my dad shared with me what he felt God was saying. I will never forget and will forever be comforted. He said, "Karen, I love when you call me on the phone and I hear your voice. I love when you send me cards and write me letters or notes. I love to receive pictures from you, but what I really desire more than these is to see you with my own eyes! I want to hug you, hold you, laugh with you and see the expression in your eyes and on your face. I want 'face to face' fellowship with you!"


My God loved Katrina so much, that He could no longer wait for 'face to face' fellowship with her. She is now in His arms, being hugged and loved by the "God who made the heavens and the earth"! What a wonderful truth.



I pray this will help you as you walk with your friends, family and church members. We will all someday get to see our Father's face. Feel His arms around us and hear Him call us "precious".

No comments: