Wednesday, June 18, 2008

On A Mission From God

The mind fog and weariness of our Iowa mission trip is very slowing leaving my body. Trust me, I had to drink a couple of diet sodas and eat Peanut M & Ms in order to keep going yesterday. This morning, as I forced my body to take my walk, I began to ponder what God might want to say through me today. It was then that Randy's face came to mind.


Randy is one of the members at Crossroads Community Church in Grimes, Iowa. He along with all the other members work hard for the Lord. They know their community is lost in sin. This group of Christians willingly become all things to Grimes in order to reach some for Christ.

As our mission team was working the Fantastic Day booths on Saturday, Randy was behind the scene making sure things were running smoothly. After a couple of hours he approached a small group of us and told us that he was going to take his children on some of the rides. He felt assured that we could handle the booths and behind the scenes management. We told him to go and spend time with his children and not to worry about things at the booths.

The next day at their worship service in the high school lobby, Randy stood before the group gathered. With tears in his eyes Randy shared with us what our mission team meant to him. He had worked the Fantastic Day booths for several years all day long and never got to spend any time with his family at the festival. He told us that when he walked away on Saturday from his assigned job at the festival God gave him a peace. He knew our team cared and loved Crossroads Community Church and the people of Grimes. He finally had to hand the microphone to someone else as he literally broke down crying.

I can honestly say I was crying too. I have been on many mission trips and only planted seeds. I have never seen the work touch someone's life. However, Randy's testimony allowed our mission team to see God at work. None of us could ever imagine that simply relieving Randy from his responsiblities at the festival to spend time with his children would allow this godly man to see Christ revealed more fully.

Yes, the days were filled with hard work and sweat but it was all worth it. We were on a mission from God. It was to share Christ love with Randy. What is your mission?

No comments: