Monday, June 23, 2008

Protection from Myself

"To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kind-hearted and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing."
1 Peter 3:8-9 NASB


Recently, I was challenged in how I would respond to a situation that I am sure you all would be able to relate to: Dear people I love seemed to have put me in yet another challenging situation. I know how I wanted to respond, how I felt justified to respond. But I knew that wasn't how I should respond.I mean for once, I wanted to respond the way I wanted to respond . . .


BUT,  God graciously wouldn't let me. He used verses like the two above to speak to me in my quiet times. On a recent road trip, He used the fact my radio wouldn't work to force me to listen to old CDs full of lyrics that spoke to my heart. He gently reminded me that I have asked Him to change me. He is my "audience of One." The situations and the people that He "endured" were so much more "challenging" then what I was facing. And without love anything we might do is worthless. I am called to a higher purpose.


I didn't realize that I was struggling with these things. My sin was my own self-righteousness, that I was denying that I even had . . That was what everyone else was dealing with right? No, God seemed to gently say. This isn't about them,it is all about you.


I have heard Beth Moore say more than once something about how she wished God could just teach her in the classroom and didn't have to take her on so many field trips. I totally agree . . .


I think my posts this week will be kinda scattered in theme. I feel like I've been kinda scattered in all my busy-ness. But I am sure thankful that God, in all of it, has once again protected me from myself . . . 


Can you relate?

No comments: