Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Miracles


I absolutely love Christmas! When else can you legally have a piece of homemade fudge on a daily basis? Well, you understand what I mean. However, I truly love Christmas. I love the smell of cookies baking, the feel of the cold winter air on my face, and singing the songs of the season. I especially love the miracle of Jesus' birth.

As we enter this season, I am remembering the days when our sons were toddlers. Putting the Christmas tree up and decorating it was an event. Each son had his favorite ornament and all the ornaments hung at the base of the tree. There was the cookie baking and letters to write to Santa. However, Christmas of 1986 plays vividly in my mind each year as it was the year God performed two miracles right before our eyes.

In early December of 1986 our youngest son, then only two months old, entered the hospital acute pneumonia. The doctor did not fully tell us just how sick our little one was. Instead, being the Christian man that he was, the doctor put our son on his church prayer list. Bryan spent 8 days in the hospital and required major lung therapy and a round the clock care.

Because our eldest son could not come to the hospital, my husband and I along with our parents took shifts staying with both boys. On one visit home my husband and I took our eldest son who was three at the time to see the movie “Fievel.” Afterwards, we treated Stephen to supper at Burger King. There Stephen spotted a huge stuffed Fievel mouse and told us that he wanted Santa to bring him one. Since Bryan was still in the hospital I had to resort to making phone calls to retailers in attempt to find this beloved mouse. However, all the phone calls were in vain. I told myself that since money was tight and the hospital bill was going to be enormous, it was best that I had not found one to purchase.

Amazingly, Bryan took a turn for the better and began to recover from his illness. A few days before Christmas we were able to bring him home. It was then that our doctor told us how close we came to loosing Bryan. What a wonderful Christmas miracle! Little did we know that God had another miracle in store for our family.

The very next day I received a call from the Sears catalogue store. I had ordered one gift from there earlier in the year. Apparently while there I had registered for a drawing. The manager was calling to tell me I had won. “What is the prize,” I asked. “You’ve won a large stuff Fievel mouse,” replied the gentleman. Honestly, I broke down and cried. When I arrive to pick up the item, I told the man our story and explained that God provided a second miracle for our Christmas season.

I tell you all this because God still provides us a miracle each year. He reminds us that even those the days may be tough, the economy is bleak, and illnesses happen God’s precious son still came to save us from our sins. Yes dear ones, there really are miracles happening today.

1 comment:

TXGirl said...

I'm trying to catch up on all the blogs that I have missed. I really love this one.