Thursday, December 11, 2008

Santa?

Tomorrow morning we will attend our son's graduation from seminary. One year ago our son-in-law graduated from the same seminary. How grateful and blessed we are for our Godly children and we know it is only because of God's grace and His mercy that they are following hard after Him.

As parents, we longed for and desired for our children to be Godly....not religious, but Godly. As I have shared before, I did not know how to do that....as wonderful as my mom and dad are/were, they did not teach me Godliness.

There were many decisions we had to make as parents while our children were growing up and one important one was what to tell them about Santa Claus. As a little girl I totally believed in Santa....and was devastated when I discovered he was not real. I was disillusioned and felt that my parents had lied to me. As a result, it was clear to me that we would not "do" Santa Claus. We did not want to lie to them, and more importantly, when they discovered he was not real, we did not want them to also think that Jesus was not real. That He was just another "pretend" person.

Sadly, even though our convictions were strong concerning this, we discovered after our children were grown, that we had not done enough. You see, being the person who worries about what other people think, I hated to tell them there was NOT a Santa when they were little....we just did not tell them there was a Santa. I did not want my small children running to their friends and telling them the truth!!!! Fearful their parents would be mad at us!!! Spoiling Christmas for their children!!

All of that to say, we made many mistakes over the years, and I am sure you did too (and still are!!) but God is faithful. Prayerfully consider how you can impart the Truth of Christmas in your home and your family. Enjoy the blessings of the lights and know you are being prayed for.

"Mary" Christmas sisters!!

No comments: