Monday, December 15, 2008

I'll Be Home for Christmas

“I’ll be home for Christmas; you can count on this.
Please have snow and mistletoe and presents under the tree. . .
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams.”

This year the song brings a few tears to my eyes. Oh, I love the song but it’s the message. You see, our Air Force son will be alone in North Dakota for the Christmas season. Since Stephen is single and new at his position, he is working around the clock covering for other men who have families. Unfortunately, we cannot get to the great frozen north to see him, so we are going to in each other’s thoughts.

As I dab my eyes with a tissue, I am trying to figure out a way to make this season bright for my eldest child. Oh, we have purchased a couple of little things that we always have for the Christmas season-white chocolate Oreos and the Christmas movie “The Christmas Story.” Another tradition we have is to read Twas the Night Before Christmas. I created a little book with this story and put cute little Santas throughout the book. I'm quite sure my son will laugh and roll his eyes at my humor but at the same time I'm sure he will understand my message.
We are also sending him a couple of New Testaments-one for him and one for someone who may need a Bible. You see, another family tradition we have is to read the true Christmas story on Christmas morning. Knowing our son, I'm am sure he will find time to take a break from patroling in the blizzard north to read the story of Jesus' birth.

So this Christmas will be slightly different. We will be with our families back in Arkansas. However, in our minds we will be remembering our soldier boy who willingly is sacrificing his Christmas leave so other military personnel can spend time with their families. We will also remember our missionaries who give up spending the holiday with their families in order that the lost around the world may hear the Good News.

Do you know of a military person, missionary, or someone who is far from home? Let me encourage you to send a card. You might even send a care package. I assure you that it will brighten their day and will be a witness to others who are not Christians.

No comments: