Friday, December 19, 2008

Peace on Earth

Well, it is Friday before Christmas and I am exhausted. I have resorted to eating my nerve pills-Peanut M & Ms-by the handfuls. I have rushed around for the past two weeks finishing the shopping, sending Christmas cards, attending Christmas parties, fellowshipping with my staff wives, and having lunch with a friend. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to help with our senior adult Christmas lunch and had a wonderful time. However, I now need to take a breath and relax before the getting together with family.

As I read my devotional and Bible today, God opened my eyes once again that this season is about peace and not rushing about in a panic. Clearly, the songs of Christmas sing out “Peace on earth, good will to men.” When Christmas hits I get so excited. I love giving gifts to family and friends, but then I worry if it is the perfect gift. I love sending Christmas cards but get overwhelmed with a busy schedule and end up mailing them at the last minute. I love attending Christmas parties with the various classes at church. However, my husband and I cannot possibility make it to all of them and we worry about hurting people’s feelings. In the end my Christmas is not much about peace at all.

So today I believe I am going to have a little peace on earth. Sure I have a couple of small things to do but I plan to relax. There are plenty of chores I can put off until tomorrow. In my devotional book entitled Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, today’s word said “Instead of trying to do all your chores at once, choose the ones that need to be done today. Let the rest slip not the background of your mind, so that I can be in the forefront of your awareness.” That statement slapped me in the face. I need to just focus on what the true meaning for Christmas is and let God’s amazing peace wash over me. The closing statement of todays devotional said “Let My Presence bring order to your thoughts, infusing Peace into your entire being.”

Dear Sisters, I invited you to join me today in enjoying some peace on earth. Take time to breathe. If the weather is nice, take a walk and talk to God. If you have baking to do, then sing a praise song or listen to Christmas music. If you’re a movie buff like me, watch “It’s a Wonderful Life” or “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and discover that love is one of the reasons for the season.

Merry Christmas! May God bring much joy and peace to you in 2009.

No comments: