Thursday, December 11, 2008

Loosing Focus

The car is packed to the brim. The goodbyes have been said. The tears have come. The last load of sheets and towels are in the dryer. The phone has been turned off. The address changed. And I am filled with an overwhelming sense of God's presence as I sit and reflect before I get into the car and drive away.

"And then there are the sailors sailing the seven seas, plying the trade routes of the world. They, too, observe the power of God in action. He calls to the storm winds; the waves rise high. Their ships are tossed to the heavens and sink again to the depths; the sailors cringe in terror. They reel and stagger like drunkards and are at their wit's end. Then they cry to the Lord in their trouble, and He saves them. He calms the storm and stills the waves. What a blessing is that stillness, as He brings them safely into harbor! Oh, that these men would praise the Lord for His lovingkindness and for all of His wonderful deeds! Let them praise Him publicly before the congregation, and before the leaders of the nation." Psalm 107:23-32

As we "ply the trade routes of the world" during this awesome Christmas season, may we continually observe the power of our God in action!! May we publicly praise Him as He brings us safely into harbor!

Usually this time of year my list above of things done or yet to do would have included lots of tasks like decorating the tree, writing Christmas cards, purchasing gifts, baking, going to parties, etc. I have done none of the those. And it is OK. I certainly do not want to 'miss' Christmas.....but this year will be different. I long to not focus on the things that 'make' Christmas special....traditions, decorations, etc.....I long to focus on the Christ. The One who has been born in me.

Unfortunately, it can be easy for me loose focus during this season.....getting caught up in it all.....and even though I am not 'doing' the 'normal' seasonal things, I still found myself loosing focus because of all that is happening in our life right now. How sad!! Forgive me, Lord for loosing focus. Fill my heart and my mind and my eyes on You! Remove all the distractions from each of us, Lord....whatever that is. The enemy does NOT want us to focus on You. We praise You for Your lovingkindness and Your wonderful deeds!! In Jesus' name....amen.

Blessings sisters!!

No comments: