Monday, December 29, 2008

Treasures

I have always felt a pull to the verse that says, "Mary treasured all these things in her heart." I have read many interpretations and insights into these words. I have heard several sermons preached off of this text. And yet, I never feel that I reach the full meaning...that is until now.

This Christmas, this verse took on added significance. This holiday was very different...it was the first holiday without my mother, but I also had both my girls, their husbands and my granddaughter home (which I did not have last year). After attending the beautifully elegant candlelight service at church, we sat around the dinner table and ate on Christmas Eve. I just soaked it all in. I took a ton of pictures and with every laugh, every smile, every joke, I whispered both a prayer of thanksgiving as well as a request to always hold these memories close.

I am finally understanding the verse with which I have somehow always identified. Treasuring my relationship with Christ, my relationship with family, these precious moments in life is not necessarily some deep, theological idea. Maybe treasuring things in my heart is simply taking the time to thank God for special times and putting forth effort to really remember them.

No comments: