Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Resolution on Resolutions

With the beginning of new year, like a lot of people, I have been doing a lot of thinking about the up-coming year. However, I have not made any resolutions- on purpose. I know that there is a lot of research out there about how resolutions don't last and all that, but my reasoning has nothing to do with research or trends. 

There are a couple of reasons that I haven't made any resolutions this year. First, I didn't want to rush into any commitments to myself or my husband or to God that I really hadn't devoted any time or prayer to first. Secondly, I must confess that I have gotten pretty complacent -not really content, but complacent in my life just the way that it is. I didn't feel like I needed to . . . 

Let me see if I can explain . . .  

My life isn't really in a rut. With the anticipated arrival of our second child, I know my life will change drastically. But, I must confess that in the mean time I have been satisfied with the status quo. I have been having my quiet times and leading my daughter in Bible Studies. Things are really good with my husband. I am happy with how I am serving at church. I guess the real reason I didn't make any resolutions this year is that somehow I pridefully, sinfully figured that I didn't need to. I mean, I wanted to give God the credit, but everything seemed to be going pretty well. I think I have everything under control here. 

Enter God  . . . .

Through His gentle promptings and still small voice. He is encouraging me to view my life from His perspective.  Honestly, I feel like my five-year old daughter closing and covering her eyes during the scary part of a movie that she has seen before. She knows what is coming so she is going to make sure she doesn't see it. Thankfully, God is patient with me. He is slowly encouraging me to take a look and see what He sees when He looks at me. 

Yes, now I know that there is lots of room for improvement. So much so that I do not know where to begin . . . But there is also a lot about me that God loves and has been really encouraging me with too. He has BIG plans for me and He has tenderly told me not to become so complacent. I really need to be confessing my pride and seeking Him out. 

So . . . my resolution on resolutions? Yes, I am going to take the time to seek out what they need to be. I am going to ask my husband and a couple of good girlfriends what they think. But above all, I am going to find out what God wants.

What about you? Got any resolution advice for me? For you? 

No comments: