Monday, January 19, 2009

A Slap in the Face



Girls, sometimes I am so blonde that I amaze myself. For example I am notorious for making a shopping list and forgetting it. Sometimes a person can tell me something important and it will just go in one ear and out the other. My worse blonde moment was when I was completing my college education. Most days I would arrive at school early in the morning and not leave until after dark. As a result I would forget where I parked my car. Thank goodness for Post It Notes because I finally had to write the parking lot number on the slip and put it in my book bag. (Thankfully, I never forgot where I put the note!)

Another example of my blondness is in studying God’s word. I can read a bible passage over and over and never get it. Then later, sometimes months or years, I can come back to the same passage and it’s like a hand slaps my face. Have you ever been there?

Today, my devotional guide “Jesus Calling” by Sarah Young presented a thought that suddenly made me realize that I was not honoring God. (Yep, I am not a perfect little pastor’s wife!) Read what I learned today. “If you keep on stating your concerns to Me, you will live in a state of tension.” Wow, talk about a slap in the face.

As I have stated before I have a habit of worrying. I offer up my concerns but I never just leave them at the feet of God. All too often I come back later and repeat those prayers again and again. Just like the statement I shared with you, I live in a state of tension. Honestly, I have never looked at it that way.

We all need to state our concerns before the Heavenly Father and then look for how He is answering our prayers. I firmly believe this simple act will give hope for a future and a renewed spirit.

Have you had a moment when God slaps you in the face to get His truth across to you? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments: