Thursday, May 28, 2009

God Still Talks . . .

You know that saying, "Be careful what  you pray for, you just might get it"? It is SO true!

I had been praying about my summer activities and what I really needed to be involved in. I even blogged about it last time, wondering where and how I should focus my energies now that the baby had arrived. With the approach of summer and the prospect of our routine changing with my older daughter out of school, my prayers intensified and I even recruited a couple of good girlfriends to begin praying as well. 

Sure enough, God answered. In the days leading up to Riley's last day of school my quiet time scriptures all seemed to reflect back to "teaching the next generation" and an intentionality to "pass on the things the Lord had done." So, I assumed that the Lord was just telling me I needed to be more proactive here at home as I went about my daily responsibilities to point my family to Him. BUT, God wasn't done yet!

Last Wednesday after dropping off Riley for her last evening ever in Mission Friends and Preschool choir, I went into the preschool resource room and began using my time to begin to prepare for VBS in a few weeks. The next thing I knew I was being recruited to teach Riley's Team Kid Class for the next ten weeks. I told them I would pray about it and get back with them on Sunday . . . . 

It hit me the next morning in my quiet time, that I had already prayed about it, I just wasn't looking for the answer. Through prayer and scripture, God had already provided me with the direction I had been looking for. Yet for some reason -my own sinful, and self-centered, old nature- when the opportunity to act came, I didn't see it. I didn't have to wait until Sunday to let them know. I knew first thing Thursday morning.

In that same quiet time, God also reminded me of a conversation I had had the night before with another mother from Riley's age group. She had been wondering what she was going to be doing on Wednesday nights through the summer. God prompted me to ask her to consider helping me out with the Team Kid class I now knew I was supposed to teach. (Notice: I didn't say that God told me that she WAS to be my helper. I knew God had to lay that upon HER heart!) 

So . . . last night I received the biggest blessing and had the most fun teaching six, just-finished, kindergartners all about how they were God's most special creation. It wasn't a "have-to" but truly a "get-to" ministry opportunity . . . and an answered prayer.

God made His will for me known. I almost missed it, but He was definitely talking to my heart. I truly know with all of my heart that God does still talk to the hearts of His followers. What has He been telling you lately?

No comments: