Thursday, May 21, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

I can't believe it, but our granddaughter turned 2 today. Happy Birthday Maddie! I wanted to see her today, but didn't know how I could. She lives in Murfreesboro, which is about 3 1/2 hours to the West of Sevierville, but our son-in-law Kevin is graduating in the morning from Southeastern Seminary in Wake Forest, NC which is about 6 1/2 hours East of Sevierville. So we decided that we would not be able to see Maddie today. But the more I thought about the events of that day, the more I wanted to see her.

On the Monday morning she was born, our daughter Beth was induced at 6:00 a.m. The dr. came by to check on her about 7:30 and told her that she would probably deliver around 4:00 that afternoon. But God definitely had other plans. About 8:30 the anesthesiologist came in for what we thought was a regular epidural. Because of some health issues, they decided it would be better if they did not give it to her and told her that she would have to deliver naturally. Beth informed the nurse that she had not even paid attention to that part of the birthing class because she had every intention of having an epidural. The nurse was so sweet and told her she would be fine and that she could get through this. Beth had been in some pretty intense pain already and was quite concerned how she would handle anything worse. The nurse checked her with the intention of planning out the labor when, much to everyone's surprise, she was already completely dialated. She started barking orders and setting everything into motion before we realized what was going on. She finally told us that Beth would be delivering within the hour. Things started happening so quickly we could hardly keep up. The dr. barely made it - literally. He ran in the door just in time to catch Maddie!!

What took place though in those few minutes was unbelievable. Beth had asked me to be in the delivery room and I was thrilled. As I stepped back and watched this beautiful process I saw the Lord perform a miracle right before my eyes. As they placed that little baby into Beth's arms she began talking to her like she had been doing that all her life. I literally saw my baby be transformed into a mother right before my eyes. I will never forget it.

So as I relived that day, I decided to make the effort to go to Murfreesboro. So last night after church we drove to Murfreesboro so we could have breakfast with Maddie this morning. We would have to leave by 9:00 their time to make to our other daughter's by supper. Beth and Derrick kept laughing at us, telling us they could not believe we had driven all that way just to have breakfast. I was beginning to think it was a crazy idea too...until Maddie came running up to me. As I picked her up, she threw her little arms around my neck and hugged me so tight that she grunted. Then she looked me square in the eyes and then kissed me. My heart melted. I knew then that going the second mile (or the hundredth mile) was worth it all!

We have now arrived in Wake Forest. We went by Wendy and Kevin's to visit a little while and are looking forward to graduation tomorrow and all of the festivities.

For right now though, I have to admit, that I am just happy to be in a bed, instead of a car!!!!

No comments: