Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Well, after a week of being gone (again) I am home. This has been such a crazy spring and there has been a lot going on. But to be honest, I think most of my springs the last several years have been hectic. Three years ago this time we were planning our oldest daughter's wedding. Then two years ago tomorrow, our first granddaughter was born. Last year, my mom passed away. This year there have been a lot of out of town trips that I have had to make. Anyway, I am home for now. For the first time this year, I am out on my porch, my legs crossed with computer in my lap, swinging. It is so peaceful. The roses in my garden are in full bloom, the birds are in the birdhouse fluttering in and out singing up a storm, our grass (which looked like hay until I mowed it yesterday) is cut and the sun is shining. All that, in and of itself, is enough to praise the Lord for. I feel like sometimes I fly through life without really slowing down to enjoy what the Lord has blessed me with.

I received a call today from a young mom. I think she just needed someone to talk to. After discussing what she originally called about, she began to tell me that her husband was out of town on business and she was home alone with her two preschool daughters, one that is 3 and the other 1 1/2. The youngest was sick with a fever and an upper respiratory infection and the mom said that she would cry for a few minutes, then be happy, then cry again. The 3 year old sounds like the typical 3 year old...talking non-stop. The sweet young mom sounded tired and little exasperated. I thought back to when my girls were that age and could remember exactly how she felt. The difference is that now I realize that those times pass so quickly, and there are days I would do anything to be home with them again.

My point is that life doesn't slow down for any of us. Sometimes I need to just make myself enjoy the moment. Right now I could be doing a 100 different things but I am going to choose to sit here in the quietness of the moment and thank God for the blessings of today.

OK, GOD REALLY DOES HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!! As I was about to sign off there was a fire truck and ambulance that came whizzing by. The sirens were so loud that it hurt my ears. Then a woodpecker started pecking like crazy on a tree right across the street. My phone rang and someone has begun cutting their grass with a very loud mower!!!!

I am just glad I enjoyed the "moments" while I had them.

No comments: