Thursday, May 7, 2009

Joints and Marrow

I know you are familiar with the verse in Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Because of my cancers I have a new understanding for the emphasis of joints and marrow.
One of the continual tests I must have is a bone marrow test. It is one I always dread. I am asked lay on my stomach on a hard metal table. They begin to clean and sterilize the upper portion on my hip. I am asked to lay very still as they begin the process of numbing the area. After they consider it numb, they begin the test. Using a large, long needle they begin to go into my hip. Unlike the needle they use to numb which is basically the skin area, they continue to press into my hip until they get to bone, then they continue into the bone until they get to the marrow. At that point they begin to withdraw some marrow. When the marrow is withdrawn they go back in and actually get a small portion of bone! Yes, it hurts! In fact, because of the many times I have had the test and the build up of scar tissue, they have been putting me to sleep - Thank you, Lord for that mercy.

Why am I sharing this? The marrow is where the life blood is produced. That is the deepest part of my body and it holds life. It is also the only sure way they can check my cancer cells and decide on treatment to get rid of them. (I am sure a medical person could explain this better)

When God tells us His word pierces the joint and marrow, He is letting us know that He wants to get to the center of our life. He wants to produce a life in us that is righteous, pure, holy and in order to do that He must get to the marrow of our spiritual life. He wants to check our sin cells and cure them.

We must allow God's word to pierce even though it is painful. If our churches are going to see revival, a new love for Christ explode, a heart for the lost, we must allow God to pierce to very place we have life. This will never happen without a day in and day out journey through His word.

Sisters, stay in His word, allow Him to pierce the joint and marrow. It is worth it - that is where He will do His best work.

No comments: