Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day



Mother’s Day was Sunday and it was the first time in many years that I was able to celebrate it with any of my children or grandchildren. Since our daughter moved here last month, we had such fun hanging out (literally in this tree!!) with her and her family! Our son called and made the day so very special. I spent a lot of time this week thinking about what I taught my children and what my mom taught me.

My mom taught me….
· How to sew. I had to be sure that the inside looked as good as the outside!! I still have some formals she made for me that I wore in the 70’s and I cherish them!! They look ridiculous by today’s standards, but have been really big hits when the high school would have 70’s day!!

· To cook. My three brothers and I were often responsible for taking turns and cooking a meal for our entire family. None of us will ever forget the time I made meatloaf and put in 2 CUPS of salt!!

· To iron. She taught me to wash and dry the clothes…then “sprinkle” them with water, roll them up really, really tight and put them in a plastic bag so they could get wet again and ready to iron!! How crazy was that???

· Not to call boys!! I was shocked when our son would get a zillion phone calls from girls…at all hours of the night at that!! It was so instilled in me that it seemed like it took forever before I could call my husband without worrying that I would “get in trouble” with my mom!!

· To make sure the boy would come to the door to get me and not to run out to a waiting car!

· To write thank you notes.

· Manners! She would bang on any elbow that was on the table!!

These are just a few of the zillion things she taught me. Intentionally. They were skills and attitudes and actions that were important to her; that she could do well and wanted to be sure that I did them well. Intentional teaching. What are some of the things your mom taught you?

Unfortunately, like all of us, she also taught me many things unintentionally. First, I must tell you that my mom was a very well-liked, friendly woman with lots of incredible traits and it is difficult to share some of this because I do so desperately want to honor her…but she did not know my Jesus and I learned how to be critical, how to stretch the truth, manipulate and to talk about other people as I observed and listened growing up. You know, she never sat me down and said, “Honey, this is how you can stretch the truth…” No. It was unintentional. But taught it was. And I learned it well! I have spent the years since becoming a Christ follower being transformed by the renewing of my mind through the grace and mercy of my God and moving farther and farther away from being the critical, manipulative woman I once was. Praise God!

Whether we like it or not, we are teaching. Some of what we teach is purposeful and intentional. Much of our teaching is unintentional….but can be “learned” just as easily. Every critical word we say or complaint we make or rolling of the eyes can be picked up by those who are watching and learning and modeling. Even the simplest way we phrase things like, “We get to go to church” rather than “We have to go to church” can make an impact on the lives around us.

Oh, Father, may we be intentional teachers of the Truth and may our lives reflect Your Son…may our unintentional teaching be of You. In Jesus’ name….amen.

1 comment:

Lana said...

Dana, what a beautiful picture of you and your daughter. Thanks for sharing it.