Thursday, June 4, 2009

Enjoying the Journey

Yesterday I had to go to another doctor. Many of you know I am battling cancer. It has been an interesting journey to say the least! I have learned much and am learning more.

One of the major lessons God has driven home to me has been to enjoy the journey. I realize that sounds like an unusual lesson to be taught during constant hospital stays, unbearable pain, chemo, no hair, weakness, nausea and countless surgeries, yet that has been the lesson.

God has gently and persistently used His word to walk me through the circumstances of my life. Scripture I have read my entire life has become the "Living Word" in my life.

I Peter 4:1-2 "Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God."

Knowing time is short, I desire to live for the will of God. It is a desire that He Himself has planted in my heart and watered with suffering to help it grow. The suffering is so worth the changes He is making in my heart day by day.

I Peter 4:12-13 "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you particpate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed."

As I am learning to rejoice in whatever circumstances God is walking me through, I am experiencing a joy that is unexplainable! To see the hand of my God purposing every test, every doctor visit, every day - how humbling, exciting, pure JOY!!

Sisters, I know that ministry can sometimes be discouraging, hurtful and even disappointing. I also know it can be exciting, joyful, surprising and fulfilling. Time is short and I pray that you will "enjoy the journey." Get into the Word and allow God to grow you up in your circumstances in order that you can rejoice and be overjoyed when His glory is revealed.

No comments: